Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It started in 1997 and went on until about 2001.

It's 2009. This decade has been a rough start to what has been promised to be a fun and prosperous willenium for all. I'm sitting in my kitchen with my roomates and my neighbor Eric. We're talking about the music we loved when growing up.
"I started paying attention to music at around third grade, listening to Z 95.7 on the van rides to the JCC after school program. Goo Goo Dolls, Eagle Eye Cherry, Natalie Imbruglia, stuff like that. A year later me and this kid Nathaniel would go over to each other's houses every day after school and watch TRL religiously. Limp Bizkit, KoRn, Eminem, Kid Rock. Oh, god! All the worst stuff, that's what I got into."
Eric's jaw dropped. "Dude, I'm so sorry."
He didn't know how easy he had it. By the time 1997 rolled around, Eric was smart enough to avoid the music that made me drag my mom to Tower Records.
In the late 90's, I was forming strong opinions about the day's current pop music for the first time. The Nu-Metal meathead noisemakers were cool, the Boy Bands were Gay. Backstreet Boys were Gay. Britney was Gay. Smash Mouth was alright.
I thought that watching these videos and listening to these bands was going to give me substance. Even the videos I hated, I watched because I had to stay informed. I set out to be an interesting person with a unique taste in music. My only problem was that the one source of music I turned to was MTV in its Rap Rock vs. Teen Pop era. There was no less interesting, less unique outlet for music available.
Terrible, terrible music and the repressed memories I recall when I hear this music. That's what this blog is about. I'll be talking about obnoxious, stupid, and completely worthless music. But it was my music. And sometimes, for reasons I can't explain, I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment